Caramel apples are another family favorite in autumn, but sometimes they are just a little too big for the little ones to manage. Here is a simple way to make your favorite treat, but sized just right for your preschooler.
What you’ll need:
- 2- to 3-inch lollipop sticks (toothpicks are too little, popsicle sticks are too big)
- A melon baller
- Granny Smith apples (1 apple makes about 8 mini-caramel apples)
- Butterscotch or peanut butter chips
- Sprinkles, chopped nuts or whatever you like (optional)
- Small paper candy cups or wax paper
What to do:
- Use your melon baler to extract a ball of apple (with the peel intact).
- Pat the apple chunk dry and push the stick through the peel into the apple.
- Melt the chips (follow the package directions) and swirl the mini apple in the melted chips.
- Have your child roll the mini caramel apple in his or her choice of sprinkles or nuts.
- Place on wax paper or mini paper cups to set.